From:
The Getty's <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 08:12:47 -0400

> A while ago I spent a lot of time trying to find any studies which show
> adverse effects of high protein diet on kidneys or liver. The results
found:
> 0.
>
> If you have sufficient amounts of fat or carbs (or combination of both)
high
> protein intake shouldn't be a problem.
> If you try to live on a lean protein alone you get sick befor you develope
> symptoms of kidney failure.
> ---

About 8 years ago I was diagnosed with proteinurea, which means excess
protein spilling into the urine.  It is generally because there is damage to
the glomeruli in the kidneys.  My numbers were about halfway between normal
and needing a transplant, so it certainly got my attention.  I was told to
limit my protein intake, which I did.  The numbers didn't change.  I was
eating a lot of carbohydrates, and gaining weight even though I was trying
to lose.  All my numbers got worse, especially triglycerides, and my BP was
really bad.
Then, partly out of anger at my nephrologist at his insults as to why I
would be so slovenly to gain weight during this time, I decided to go
against his recommendations and go low carb, high protein and high fat.
My proteinurea numbers were HALVED, and have remained that way.
Triglycerides, cholesterol, and BP all improved a lot.  I lost 50 pounds
effortlessly.
Generally I follow the Heller's Carbohydrate Addict's Diet, and it works for
me.  I eat cheese, and not too much fruit, but LOTS of low carb veggies.  It
has been one year, and I'd love to go back to my nephrologist and tell him
he needs to go back to school, and stop insulting people about their weight.
Paul

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses by Cape Lookout Mail Server]