From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 09:25:29 +0100
On Sat, 27 Jan 2001 14:28:48 -0400, matesz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Actually, 1 cup of human breast milk contains 171 calories per cup and a
>total of 10.7 grams of fat (4.9 grams of saturated fat and 5.3 grams
>unsaturated fat).  It also contians 34 grams of cholesterol.
>
>That means that human breast milk derives 57% of calories from fat.  (I
>guess you could say its not so much fat, relative toStefanson's artic diet!
>:-))

Not so much fat relative to Stefanson's diet, and of course relative to low
carb attempts. And less fat (like protein) relative to other animals' milk
like cow or sheep.

For the average diet that's still high fat but it also means that some 43%
of calories are comeing from carbohydrate. Babies as well as adults with the
relative big brain might have difficulties to substitute the healthy carbs
with fat or anything.

> Mothers milk contains 6% protein.   (As an aside, some people argue
>that since mother's milk is low in protein, on a percentage basis, adults
>don't need much protein; however, mother's milk need not be high in protein
>because the baby consumes a lot of it relative to body weight.)  If you
>figure the number of grams of protein a baby consumes, relative to body
>weight, a human baby will typically consume 2.5 grams of protein per pound
>of body weight, per day.

So, you've done the calculation of total protein of a whole day mother milk
amount, and you get 2.5g protein per pound? 5g per kilo?
Thats 17.5g protein for a 3.5kg baby (my newborns were). If mother milk has
6% protein, do (newborn) babies really drink 2.9 kg (liters) of milk per day?
Lactating mothers will know.

Since babies are growing so quickly i would assume a very high protein
requirement for them, maybe even so high.
For the last two years my boys have been growing about 1cm each month
(they are lactovegetarian) - still high.
How would you compute the protein requirement for an adult who has stopped
growing?

I think the rather high protein consumption of adults on protein/fat diets
use the protein mainly to achieve adequate *carbohydrate* supply.
A supply of *usable* carbohydrates, since the carbohydrates from protein are
usually comeing with adequate B-vitamins and enzymes then.

As far as you wouldn't burden a babies organism with huge amounts of protein
and it's toxic sideproducts (ammonium..),
how should one find a healthy (usable) carbohydrate supply for a baby?
This is a quest I'm thinking about - searching paleocarbs.
Most fruit will be right.

regards

Amadeus S.