From:
Mary Spillman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jul 1999 17:51:08 -0500
Smoked Turkey Gumbo
First part of Recipe

Tall stock pot or other suitable pot
One Turkey carcass (Including what meat remains on bones)
one large onion, quartered
one stalk celery
2 or 3 cloves garlic
water to cover carcass
bring to a boil and simmer over night or all day if preferred.
Remove carcass and strain broth.  Set aside
I use another skillet and use about 1/2cup oil (could be bacon grease) equal
amt or flour (don't know what you would sub. for that.)
Make a roux with flour and oil ( that means to brown with out burning)
One large onion chopped,
2 or 3 cloves garlic chopped
1 or 2 stalks of celery chopped
1 pkg of cut frozen Okra (Or fresh if you are lucky enough to get it.)
1 bunch green onions chopped
Add above ingredients to the browned roux . Stir veg. till tender. (The okra
won't be slimy anymore.)
Add to strained broth.
1 can crushed tomato's (I use a large size can, you can omit if you don't
like tomato's)
1 lb. pkg smoked sausage or 1 lb. ham cubed  cut up sausage into small
pieces or cube the ham and brown in skillet. Add to the broth and stir all
remove meat from bones and add meat to pot.
At this time I add Salt, Pepper and Red pepper (To taste)
! or 2 Bay leaves added to pot.
Simmer till you can't wait any longer, then serve.  (Traditionally over rice
but you don't need to.  It is good by itself.)

You don't have to make the roux.  That is just tradition, it doesn't really
thicken the gumbo, it just gives flavor.

Hope you can use it.  I am using Turkey wings today cause I am serving the
Turkey at the re-union this weekend.   Will use the carcass in the next pot.
Mary Spillman
If you have any questions, just write