From:
Jay Banks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 2003 16:00:05 -0500
Someone wrote about T.C. Fry and his early death. It might be interesting to
point out some other examples of fasting. For One, Paul Bragg wrote the
book, "The Miracle of Fasting." Paul Bragg died in his early to
mid-nineties...IN A WATER SKIING AND/OR SURFBOARD ACCIDENT. Interestingly,
Jack Lalanne was a student of Paul Bragg.

Here is some interesting highlights from an article about real quacks:

http://www.doctoryourself.com/quackquack.html

Moving into the mid 19th century, we run into entire flocks of medical
wackos.  In this age of free-market anything, prescribed medicines and
patent remedies shared a common feature: they were poisons.  Along comes a
series of surprisingly well educated medical doctors who rebelled against
their own profession by recommending vegetarianism, fasting, water and
sunlight, and, gasp, even exercise to cure the many diseases of the day.
Whether it was James Calab Jackson, MD, of Dansville, NY's "Home on the
Hill" spa, or the much better known John Harvey Kellogg, MD of Battle Creek
and cereal fame, these quacks were neither fleecing nor killing their
patients.  Following the cardinal rule of healing, "First do no harm," the
naturopathic branch of health science was far ahead of its time in many
ways.  For instance, "Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman" would have had to be a
naturopath, for no drug school would even accept a woman as a student in her
day.  The nature-cure schools did, graduating the first female American
physicians in history.

It is easy for Hollywood to put together a fictional film (bordering on the
libelous) such as The Road to Wellsville, which makes a mockery of Dr.
Harvey Kellogg.

 All these women were quacks, of course, because they advocated fasting,
water cures, sunlight, exercise and good diet.  You will learn of them in
detail in The Greatest Health Discovery, by the American Natural Hygiene
Society.  Back to the past again, to the time of Mesmer.  One of the common
remedies of the 18th and 19th centuries was mercury.  Mercury is well known
today to be a toxic heavy metal, the very vapors of which are dangerous.
Any junior high science teacher knows this, and has in her lab classroom a
mercury clean-up kit, for immediate, safe isolation of any spill, no matter
how small.  No longer will my grade-school friends and I be allowed to play
with "quicksilver," mercury's common name.  No longer may anyone roll the
heavy, cold, shiny liquid about in their hands and try to coat pennies with
it.  It is too dangerous.

 Yet in the not too far past, mercury, often as the drug calomel, was
administered to countless innocent and trusting patients, not by Mesmer or
any other oddball, but by the family doctor.  Well, we can dismiss the dark
ages of medicine as over and done with, right?  Wrong.  Mercury, making up
over half of a so-called "silver" amalgam dental filling, is still placed
into the living bone tissue of adults and children, where it may well stay,
24 hours a day, 7 days a week, for ten years of more.  Some of my mercury
amalgam fillings lasted me from childhood into fatherhood.  If a science
teacher encouraged a 13 year old put mercury into his mouth, it would be
gross negligence, bordering on criminal.  Dentists do it every day.
 Who, then, are the quacks?

Of course, it's in the name itself.  "Quack" is a condemnatory word.  Even
eye-witnessed murderers are called "suspects" well into the legal process.
"Quacks," by definition, cannot be good.  Even witches, a familiar childhood
symbol of evil, are cut more slack: "Are you a good witch, or a bad witch?"
Dorothy was asked.  No one has ever asked me, "Are you a good quack, or a
bad quack?"

Jay
www.roadtowellsville.com
www.vitaminb17.org