From:
Lynda Bryson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 May 2001 15:00:11 -0700
>"Hashi's" often occurs in families, and is
>believed to be genetic.

<< On celiac.com and gluten-free.org, there is
discussion about thyroid and some sources that link
thyroid problems to grain consumption. >>

Here's info. from the aboutthyroid forum:

"You have a higher risk of developing thyroid disease
if:

…You have a family member with a thyroid problem
…You have another pituitary or endocrine disease
…You or a family member have another autoimmune
disease
…You've been diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
…You've been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia
…You're female
…You're over 60
…You've just had a baby
…You're near menopause or menopausal
…You're a smoker
…You've been exposed to radiation
…You've been treated with lithium
…You eat too much soy foods
…You've been exposed to certain chemicals (i.e.,
perchlorate, fluoride)"

"More than 10 million Americans have been diagnosed
with thyroid disease, and another 13 million people
are estimated to have undiagnosed thyroid problems in
the U.S. alone. Frequently misunderstood, and far too
often overlooked and misdiagnosed, thyroid disease can
affect almost every aspect of health...."

A February, 2000 research study found that the
estimated number of people with undiagnosed thyroid
disease may be 10 percent -- a level that is double
what was previously thought. This may mean as many as
13 million Americans are currently undiagnosed. For
women, the risk is even higher. A woman faces as high
as a one in five chance of developing thyroid problems
during her lifetime. That risk increases with age and
for those with a family history of thyroid problems."

My point in bringing this up in connection to the
article re new cholesterol guidelines is that high
cholesterol goes hand in hand with hypothyroidism. It
was amazing to me that the panel of "experts" for
these guidelines did not include in their
recommendation that doctors should do a thorough
screen for thyroid problems BEFORE putting the patient
on cholesterol drugs -- especially since the national
association for thyroid (can't remember the actual
name of the group) recommended earlier this year that
thyroid screening should be done whenever high
cholesterol is present!

Lynda Bryson

http://auctions.yahoo.com/