From:
Eva Hedin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 2004 22:51:51 +0100
From: "Kathleen Theisen-Remaud" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 3:28 PM
Subject: Re: The Hunza

Kathleen wrote

> The Hunza posts are interesting.  My grandmother, who grew up in
> Wisconsin on a farm (where she ate only the food she grew or the food
> her neighbors grew) lived to the age of 102 with no health problems
> whatsoever.
Most elderly people in Sweden also live on natural food and do not use
processed food very much. People here live to the average length of life for
women 81.4 and men 76.23.

> She worked hard, though, walking quite a
> bit on the farm and working very hard in the fields or in the house.

Seems to be the same with most old people of the western world. I have the
same picture.

> Most of her 13 siblings also lived to be close to 100.  The last one
> just passed away last month at the age of 98.

Surely they must be of a family with great genes for being old. There is som
studying going on the Icelandic people. They are few, now living about 250
000 and they have been recorded since 900 AD, everyone of them so the
material is great. Most other long living mythical people live in isolated
places without a recording system that makes sure when people were born. In
Sweden about 200-300 years ago they did not record children in the books of
birth until they were about 5 years old because infant death was so common.
It wasn't worth the job signing them up.
>She ate mostly meats, eggs and veggies when
> available.    Grandma had no cancer, heart disease, or anything of the
> sort.  (She only had osteoporosis, which was probably the result of
> undiagnosed celiac disease.)

Did she complain about cereals or disliked them or something that points in
that direction?
Eva