From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 11:10:58 -0500
On Wed, 1 Dec 1999, Michael Audette wrote:

> Would these findings be any different on a low carb intake? Was Lemon's
> work based on low-carb or SAD? The Inuit stayed thin on a high protein diet.
> How do you explain that?

They were based on clinical and lab work, not population studies,
as I understand it.  That is, the 58% conversion to glucose does
not appear to depend on how much carb is present.  In fact,
according to my comparative physiology colleagues, it is true of
primates in general.

As for the Inuit, I'm not aware of any body-fat ratio studies on
them, so I can't really say what their situation was/is.  Also,
although their diet was extremely low-carb, I don't know how high
in protein it was.  Perhaps they ate a lot of fat.  Finally, even
if they were eating enough protein to cause a fair amount to be
stored as fat, if their overall caloric intake was comparable to
their expenditure, that body fat would be burned at a rate to
prevent obesity.

Todd Moody