Date:
Tue, 22 May 2001 01:51:35 -0400
Charles said:

<<Siobhan, yes you are right in principle. I think you can obtain organic
butter at health food stores, and the Price Foundation lists a New Zealand
source.  Check out www.realmilk.com. This is a site sponsored by Sally
Fallon
for the reintroduction of raw unpasteurized unhomogenized grass fed milk.>>

Hi Charles,

I've copied what is below from the site you mention.  Although it is
mentioned below that one can often buy raw milk straight from a farmer at
the farm, it is illegal in all but three states to sell raw milk.

They also mention Organic Valley Butter.  Besides the fact that it is not
made from raw milk, if you look on the label I believe you will find
"natural flavors".  This brand is by far the easiest to find in my area, but
I stopped buying butter over a year ago due to "natural flavors", the
inability to find it unsalted, and the use of common trable salt instead of
a good sea salt when salted.  I'll be shopping later today.  I'll
double-check my facts then.

I think that all who use butter and dairy products should contact the person
below and find out how to make this happen more rapidly.

Siobhan

From Sally Fallon's site:

<<Cream: Cream from pasture-fed Jersey cows is now available in some gourmet
markets, under the Butterworks and Organic Cow of Vermont labels.
Unfortunately these creams are pasteurized, but at least they are not
ultrapasteurized. Traditionally soured cream (called creme fraiche),
produced by the Vermont Butter and Cheese Company, will have some of the
enzyme content restored. It is becoming more widely available.

Butter: The best commercial brand of butter is probably Organic Valley--it
comes from cows that are mostly pasture-fed but it is not raw. New Zealand
butter is not currently available in the US. However, a growing number of
farmers sell raw butter from pasture-fed cows directly to the consumer and
ship within the continental US. Many of them place classified ads in Wise
Traditions, the magazine of the Weston A. Price Foundation.

Liquid Milk: Real Milk is not commercially available in the United
States--and won't be until consumer demand increases. Raw milk can be
purchased in some stores in California, Connecticut and New Mexico, but it
is not necessarily organic, and not from pasture-fed cows. However, in many
states raw milk can be purchased at the farm and many concerned consumers
are forming cooperatives designed to support conscientious dairy farmers and
obtain Real Milk directly from the farm. The solution to restrictive state
laws is a cow-share program in which farmers keep and milk cows owned by
individuals. These are being set up in many states. For further information,
including technical and legal help, contact Tim Wightman (715) 462-3076.>>