From:
Erik Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 12:59:15 -0700
On Thu, 02 Dec 1999, you wrote:
> I got Tuna in Water for 45 cents on sale today at Safeway.
>
> Wally, Whole Foods is a large and rapidly growing chain with a Vegan
> orientation. They probably have one planned for Boise soon......
>
> Very high carb store. Very pricy, at least here, it is. But, I still go
> there, great macadamia nuts. again expensive but the best I can find around
> here. Also they have grass fed lamb, the only store with any grass fed meat
> I can find around here.

Don't forget your local oriental food store!  In Arizona (where it's sometimes
difficult to even find fresh fish) LeeLees has fresh fish, and living fish
(now THAT'S fresh!)  I was amazed to see that their prices for FRESH fish were
less than half the prices for frozen fish in the supermarkets around here.
They have a wide variety of fruits and vegetables that most Americans would
never had heard of before (I grew up for a substantial part of my childhood in
Hawai'i, so I'm an exception in that regard), so if you are desperate for some
variety, you may find it in an oriental food mark.et.  Of course, meats that are
difficult to find (like duck) are easy to find there.  And all their
meat prices are lower, not just fish.  In fact, all their prices are lower.
LeeLee's has been a lifesaver for the ol' finances, as the paleo-diet can be
very, very expensive.  Now, if only I could convince my half-sister to mail me
that deer that she's been promising -- what does U.S. law say about selling,
giving away, or trading hunted meat?  Does anyone know?

Erik