From:
pook la roux <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 13:10:16 -0700
> Date:    Mon, 29 Apr 2002 09:48:27 +0900
> From:    Tom Bridgeland <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Flax Oil, nasty taste
>
> Well, I finally found a small bottle of edible flax
> oil on sale here
> in Japan. Expensive stuff! So I bought it and got it
> home and tasted
> it. YECH!

I agree with other posts that the oil you bought is
probably rancid  -- so use it on your wood boxes or
chuck it out. Not nutritious at this point. These
delicate oils we like to use nutritionally do go
rancid quite fast -- that's why they developed all
those highly stable less-nutritious (non-paleo) oils
(G!)

But about yucky taste in general. I don't beleive in
eating things that genuinely taste bad just for the
"nutrition" in them. Now, I have a very odd palate,
and I don't have the bitter "tasters" taste buds, and
I am capable of enjoying a wide range of different
flavors and textures.  But there are things I really
don't like. And when I researched it, I found that
these things were either bad, as in rancid, or not all
that nutritious, or just not good for me (as in, I'm
allergic to the food.)  So I trust my tastebuds to
clue me in to foods that I shouldn't eat.

Now I also think that if you have lived on a
salt/sugar continuum most of your life, you may have
to go through a period of taste retraining before your
taste buds will clue you in to good for you/bad for
you foods. Since I was raised on vegetarian-style
natural foods, I never had to go through that kind of
palette adjustment.

But in general, if you really dislike the taste of
something, I say avoid it. There are bound to be other
ways to get the nutrition offered by that food.

http://health.yahoo.com