From:
Robert Kesterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Sep 2006 09:40:09 -0500
On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 08:36:04 -0500, <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Grassfed beef is not different in any substantive manner from mammoth
> meat.

True enough, but my point was that just because something has been bred
for a more favorable food usage doesn't mean we should not eat it (ie,
sweeter fruit, heavier beef cattle, larger eggs from a chicken, etc.).

> Eggs, like fruit, were only available seasonally.

Not to mention they were a lot harder to come by before the domestication
of chickens, ducks, etc.  :-)

> The only essential food item for humans is meat.

Yes, but it also bears mentioning that even on an all-meat diet, you need
some variety.  If you're living off beef steak  and chicken breast, you
may wind up suffering from nutritional deficiencies, especially if you're
using low-fat cuts of meat.  Organ meats need to be included, and cooking
needs to be kept to a minimum.

Personally, I'll just include plenty of veggies and some fruit with my
meat.  :-)

>> Your body *will* get some carbs, even if it has to manufacture them out
>> of protein.
>
> Not true.  If your protein intake stays below a certain amount -- about
> three or four pack of cards sized portions a day according to Rosedale
> -- the body won't turn protein to glucose via gluconeogenesis.

Hmmm...  Do you have any other references on that?  Everything I've read
says that even after ketogenic adaptation, the brain will still require
about 50% of its calories as glucose (about 28g a day), and that this will
come from gluconeogenesis if there aren't any carbs in the diet.

> But I like Todd Moody's idea that you need to
> *limit* you exposure to insulin.

Oh, absolutely.  No argument there.  :-)

--
   Robert Kesterson