From:
Sheryl Canter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Oct 2001 10:43:58 EDT
In a message dated 10/18/2001 6:08:25 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Sheryl and Lynnet, would you describe the diet that helped you (including
the "cheats")?

IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) and IBD (inflammatory bowel disease) are both
associated with high levels of carbohydrates from ANY source, but especially
refined sugar because this is the easiest way to overdo carbs.  The excess
starts to ferment in the intestines, sometimes spilling over into the large
bowel.  This can cause spasms, inflammation, and/or ulceration.

In addition, many people with IBS and IBD have problems digesting a specific
type of carbohydrate--polysaccarides.  Polysaccarides (including
disaccarides) are broken down by enzymes on the villi of the small intestine.
 Sometimes there are inadequate enzymes (some people lack the enzymes for
digesting milk sugar--lactose--or the gluten found in certain grains),
flattened villi, or so much mucous on the intestinal wall that there is no
contact between the food and the villi.  When the polysaccarides are not
digested, they sit in the bowel fermenting and causing problems (spasms,
inflammation, and ulceration).

A solution that helps many people with IBS and IBD is to avoid polysaccarides
(starchy foods such as grains and potatoes, and disaccarides such as
sucrose), and in general to keep carbohydrates to a minimum.  If you stop
feeding the body food it can't digest, the bowel is no longer clogged with
food for "bad bugs".  And also, people with IBS and IBD have to be careful to
limit any type of carb, since spillover is another way the bad bugs get fed.
At the same time, it's very helpful to take probiotic supplements to restore
balance to the intestinal flora.

My diet is largely paleo, with the exception of vinegar.  I do not use any
salt in my cooking or at the table, and vinegar makes a big flavor difference
in this case.  I refuse to give it up.  I also sometimes completely cheat in
the form of eating chocolate or cider donuts or a peanut butter cookie.  If I
try to completely deny myself these things, I just end up bingeing on them,
so I have them whenever I want, and that's not so often.  When it's a small
part of the diet, I find it doesn't make much difference in terms of health.
My diet is mainly meat, low-carb veggies, and fresh fruit.  I eat no packaged
junk food at all because I don't like it.

     - Sheryl