From:
Ray Audette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 2000 11:37:35 -0500
From: Amadeus Schmidt >
> Zook, I suppose that ice age animals *were* more fatty in northern
regions.

Do you mean like Texas (which was the home to many species of
Pleistocene
Megafauna) or southern Asia (likewise).
Durring that time the weather in Texas was very similar to today in
the
summer (but with more rain).  Winter was brutal but very brief.
> Do *you* have any information of the fat of a
> horse, mammouth, sabbertooth tiger?

Cordain recently published an article showing how the megafauna were
very
high in fat.  He speculated that paleo man needed no vegetable
suplementation as this fat represented over 60% of calories in these
animals
allowing most of it to be eaten without protein poisoning ( rabbit
starvation).

> For this, the animals of an african savannah should be more
representative,
> and this represents the main timeframe of paleolithicum.

The steppe-tundra of the Pleistocene was far larger than the tropical
savannahs of the time and contained far more animals.  Tropical
regions
shrunk as the temperate regions with their megafauna moved southward.
Megafauna comprised over 60% of all large mammal species and far
outnumbered
any other species of the time.

Homo Sapiens are also Pleistocene Megafauna appearing only when the
ice ages
began about two million years ago to exploit the new game rich
enviroment.
During the warm interglacials ( about 10,000 years every 100,000
years)
humans suffered as their hunting territories moved north to lattitudes
where
winters were less severe but considerably longer.

During the last mini-iceage (100-1400 AD), vikings living on Iceland
had no
vegetable foods at all and were granted a dispensation from the Pope
to use
dried fish as communion host.  From their remains it has been
determined
that they were far healthier during this time than before or since.

Ray Audette
Author "NeanderThin"
http://www.neanderthin.com