From:
James Crocker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Aug 1998 22:06:23 -0500
Someone was interested in Liquid Smoke recently.  This is from a
chemical engineering point of view.  It's all the info I have.  I
happened to see it on the sci.engr.chem newsgroup.

>sterge wrote:
>>
>> Can someone point me to information on the manufacture of liquid
smoke?
>"Liquid smoke" is made using a fast pyrolysis technology marketed by
>Ensyn Engineering, who used to be headquartered in Ottawa, Canada.  I
>believe they are now American owned and I think based in New Jersey.
>Liquid smoke is made by pyrolysing wood, the resulting liquid is a
>mixture of phenolic based compounds. The 'right' compounds are
>separated out to make the final product.  When liquid smoke is sprayed
>or brushed on meat the proteins in the meat react with the liquid >smoke
to give the meat the same taste and texture as smoking the meat. >It is
available in most grocery stores, check the label to see who >makes, I
can't remember offhand.

James
"I think there's a world market for
 about five computers."