From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 1997 18:54:57 -0400
One day a week I consult for a reinsurance company. In their cafeteria
there is this slick poster called the Nutrition Scoreboard. It is put out
by the Center for Science in the Public Interest. (A government group?) It
has sections for different types of foods, and they are ordered in their
idea of importance. Within each section they list foods with positive and
negative scores. The first section is vegetables. Below are the next three.
What I really like is the beginning, but I copied down a little more of it.
Don.

Grain Foods
-----------
Contrary to myth, starchy grain foods are not fattening. Most people would
do well to eat more grain foods in place of meat. Grains, especially whole
grains, are a nicely balanced, low fat source of carbohydrate, vitamins,
minerals, and protein.

Dairy
-----
While most dairy foods are rich in protein and calcium, the lower scoring
foods are high in saturated fat, cholesterol, and sodium.

Poultry, Fish, Meat, and Eggs
Lower scoring foods tend to be high in calories, cholesterol (eggs), fat
(red meat) or sodium (processed meats). The foods near the top are
relatively low in fat. Most of the foods are rich in protein and iron.