Date:
Tue, 11 May 1999 22:20:54 -0400
Don Wiss wrote:

> Anna L. Abrante wrote:
>
> >The Russian Georgians are historically known to live longer than anyone.  I
> >shouldn't have to compile references for this fact,
>
> No. That myth has been debunked. As I wrote they don't have records and
> people were just asked what age they thought they were.
>
> Don.
Gets worse than that. Somebody went over there some years ago and did
carbon dating (not sure if that was the test) on their teeth. Apparently
it's very accurate (whichever test was performed) since teeth are kept
at a constant temperature. The ages reported by people were hugely
exagerrated. This continues a long tradition of lying about your age
in Imperial Russia to avoid military service (which at the time was a
25 year long conscription). People in the mountains actually aged in
appearance rather fast due to being out in the sun at high altitudes a
lot. So it was easy for them to pretend to be from a previous generation.
During the Soviet regime another state produced reason likely produced
age falsification - they were louded as examples of healthy Soviet
lifestyle that resulted in very long lifespans.

Ilya