From:
Geoffrey Purcell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 May 2011 04:21:58 -0400
Rawists have various ways to start getting used to raw animal foods. One way is to start with lightly-cooked meats, adding any sauces one likes, then gradually reduce the cooking-temperature by 1 degree every so often and remove the sauces until, eventually, one can enjoy eating raw meats on their own  at room-temperature. What I did was to buy very small amounts of 100s of different kinds of raw animal foods, and I duly found that c. 10 percent of the foods I chose tasted fine from the start, things like raw swordfish, raw goatmeat, raw oysters etc.) Then, as time went on, my tastes changed and I started to like more of the raw foods I previously hated.

I wouldn't advise eating raw poultry unless you are sure they are pastured. Most poultry nowadays, even the organic ones, are fed on very unhealthy 100 percent grain-filled diets. Wild jungle fowl live off earthworms insects and the like, and only eat grains rarely. So, I generally eat things like raw wiuld mallard duck in preference to raw chicken/turkey. I foud something interesting on one list of AGEs-content in foods ages ago, and found something surprising, that raw commerically-raised chicken contained lots of AGEs, though not nearly as much as in boiled form. It seems that when one feeds animals on very unhealthy diets, that causes inflammation similiar to what is found in cooked foods.

I wanted to get more quickly adapted to the softer raw organ meats as my teeth had become very loose after years on SAD diets, making it difficult to chew. So what I did was to swallow tiny bits of raw liver at a time, followed quickly by a gulp of alkaline mineral water to wash out the taste, so that I didn't get a gag reflex. After 2 or 3 weeks, I got used to raw liver and eventually enjoyed the taste.

Oh, and if you can afford it, you could have your raw meats delivered once a week from a grassfed meat farm to your door.

Geoff