From:
Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 11:11:03 -0600
"Dena L. Bruedigam" wrote:

> The arthritis is in my knees, the left one being the really bad one.   As
> for exercise, about the only thing I can do is walk and I can't do that all
> the time and I definitely can't do stairs. I am trying to keep as mobile as
> possible.  I use ice and Aleve for the pain and crutches when I have to.

I've suffered with osteoarthritis knee pain for 15 years now;  I certainly
don't have solutions
to the problem, but here are some ideas.
* stop taking NSAIDs.  they interfere with the forming of new cartilage.
* if possible, try to use a stationary bike; start with a short period of time
   (even just a minute) but faithfully do it every day and work up to longer
   times.  This helps to strengthen the muscles around the knee and preserve
   range of motion.
* another exercise that helps is swinging your knees.  Sit on a high bench,
   table edge, or suchlike, and swing your knees back and forth to give them
   range of motion.  Again, start with few repetitions and work up.
* you may have trigger points in your leg muscles, including glutes,
hamstrings,
   calves, etc.  This causes most of my pain, rather than the joints.  A good
   massage therapist can help you; also there is a wonderful book on self-care
   for trigger points:
        Clair Davies, "The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook"
* you may have a Morton's foot.  This is a condition where the first metatarsal

   of the second toe is longer than the first toe.  The second toe itself may
not be
   longer.  It causes the first impact of a step to be the base of the second
toe
   causing serious instability in your gait.  This congenital condition causes
trouble
   for ankles and knees, even hips.  Instead of having a stable triangle of
support,
   you are trying to balance on a line.  Check by folding your toes down and
looking
   for the metatarsal joint above your toes.  If the joint of your second toe
is farther out than the
   first one, you have a Morton's foot. You can help this by putting a pad of
molefoam
   under the metatarsal joint of the first toe (NOT the second toe) so it
contacts the
   ground first.
* Tai Chi is great for strengthening the legs and avoiding arthritis pain.
Find a good
   patient teacher, work up very slowly and never overdo.
* I have a lot more pain relief with heat than cold, unless I have a muscle
spasm.
   A hot tub always does wonders for my legs.  You'd like to increase the
circulation
   in the knee area rather than decrease it.  Of course if this doesn't work
for you,
   don't do it.
* Stop using foods which aggravate inflammation, such as coffee, corn (for me),

   nightshades (for many), chocolate (for many), sugar (for many).  Most of
these
   foods are not paleo, which is one reason why people usually get relief from
arthritis
   going paleo.  If you're really sensitive to these foods, it could aggravate
your condition
   even as an occasional cheat.

Glucosamine does help rebuild the cartilage, but at least for me, the pain is
due to
muscles rather than the joints per se.  Losing cartilage in the knees
rearranges the
muscles so they are not as balanced as they were before, setting up long-term
problems
with spasms, trigger points, inflammation, etc.

Good luck.
Contact me privately for more detailed discussions, as we do not want to get
too far off topic.

    Lynnet