Date:
Sat, 31 Aug 2002 10:25:01 +0900
Phosphor wrote:

> >Chemical analysis of the 7,700-year-old femur shows that the
> >"Lady of Trent", whose remains were unearthed at the
> >Nottinghamshire village of Staythorpe, was not one to eat her
> >greens. Her diet had a meat content more similar to that of a
> >wolf or a lion than of modern man.
>
> sort of puts to death anything and everything amadeus and various other
> fantasisers say.

Not at all. I certainly believe that most paleo people were
heavy meat eaters, but we have to remember that these were
the bones of real people. Individuals. We have a handful of
bones from a small number of unique individuals, who may or
may not be the average for their places and times. This
woman may have been someone special, who was given the
prefered cuts, or she may be typical for her era. We can
never know.

The iceman is another example from the same era, but he
apparently ate a high vegetable diet. Does this prove
anything? No. By his gear he appears to be a very rich man,
but his skeleton was more that of a broken down miner, and
his diet was abysmally poor. What was he? I suspect he was
some sort of thief or escaped slave. We can never know.

Even in the paleolithic there were different cultures and
different diets. There must have been religions, and
probably dietary lore handed down from parents to children.