From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Nov 2005 09:27:34 -0500
michael raiti wrote:

>I use weights four times a week mostly because of
>routine.  I like to exercise when I wake up.  I tried
>walking but that doesn't stimulate me enough.  I tried
>doing cardio machines more frequently but that makes
>my craving of carbs even stronger.  Basically I work
>my upper body twice a week and and my lower body and
>twice a week.
>
>My asthma and allergy problems become unbearable if I
>get in the habit of consuming fruit or sweet potatoes.
> My solution for now, is oatmeal after I work out.  It
>isn't paleo, but of all the options I have tried it is
>the most practical for me now.  Perhaps when I cut
>back in working out I will cut out the oatmeal.

Four split routines a week isn't so bad, although I have to say that 75
minutes per session seems excessive.  Remember that for a training
effect to occur you need to work the fast-twitch fibers to failure, and
that happens if they are at peak load for about a minute (if that).
This is why doing a single set at high weight and slow tempo is so
effective.  It nails the fast-twitch fibers immediately.  At least,
that's how I understand it.  I'm no exercise coach but maybe you could
consider substituting some other kind of exercise for some of the weight
training, such as beating the hell out of a heavy bag.  That's bound to
stimulate you in the morning, and you can vary the pace according to
your mental and physiological state at the time.

I think oatmeal is a good choice.  It's very low GI (unless you dump
sugar on it) and I think a case can be made that oats are paleo.  They
are edible raw, after all, even though they're more palatable after
soaking.  But then, soaking is as paleo a technology as a sharp stick.
I know that "paleo orthodoxy" states that no grains are paleo, but in my
view this is just wrong.  It's a minority view, however, so handle with
care.

Todd Moody