From:
Rob Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Dec 2004 11:48:25 -0500
| >sensitivity--among other things. ...As I've stated on here before,
| >even when I eat nothing but meat and fat, my fasting BG tends
| >to remain in the low 90s.  This isn't terrible but, in my view,
| >it is dead-on proof of significant insulin resistance. In theory,
| >BG shouldn't be elevated in this situation.  .... my goal is to
| >get fasting BG below 85.  It's clear to me that paleo or plain lowcarb
| >diet will not get me there, so I'm looking at other ways.

BLOOD SUGAR REFERENCE RANGES

FASTING BS
hypoglycemia - under 50 or 70 mg/dl (two different standards)
average (normal) - 87 mg/dl (range: 75 - 100)
pre-diabetic - 110 - 125 mg/dl
diabetic - 125 mg/dl (or higher) (updated standard; previously 140 mg/dl
(or greater)

Glucometer Limitations
See the section titled "My meter readings do not match the laboratory's
results. Is my meter accurate?"
at this site: www.lifescan.com/products/faq/products_faq.html#accurate

To summarize:
* home glucometers are considered "accurate" with a reading of +/- 20%
(compared to a lab test)
* the only way to definitively test the accuracy of the glucometer is to
test it against a lab test
* home glucometers measure whole blood, which is about 12% lower than lab
plasma-based test results.  Therefore, home readings must be multiplied by
1.12 to achieve a comparable reading
* blood samples are drawn from a vein for a lab test; samples are drawn from
a fingerstick capillary at home.  Capillary levels can be much higher (up to
70 mg/dl higher) if one consumed food recently.  Fasting for 4 hours should
eliminate the difference.

Rob