From:
Nieft / Secola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Sep 1997 19:51:14 -0900
Gary:
>Here are quotes and numbers from the published data on one year meat-only
>diet conducted at Bellevue Hospital. I think they are of interest to many.

Indeed, it was! Thanks for your effort in sharing it with us (though I am
late in responding to it :/)

>Eskimo). Thus, quite different ratios can be consumed by different people
>under different circumstances. If there are indeed optimal ratios under
>different conditions, then one can wonder what might happen in the
>circumstance that too much fat is eaten relative to the amount of protein?
>The answer could be something like the situation with K.A. Namely, rather
>than burning all of the fat intake for energy, the body temporarily has a
>bit of a problem problem dealing with the excess (low insulin levels would
>make storage difficult) and spills it into the blood.

I found it fascinating that there could even _be_ such great fluctuations
on a mono-diet of meat/fat/marrow. Was there any mention of where they were
at subjectively after the experiment? I mean, were they counting down the
days? Did they relish veggies and/or fruits afterwards? Were they bored
with it in general?

>If there's any validity to this line of thinking, this could be a general
>concern for anyone consuming more fat than they can readily burn on a
>ketogenic diet. Careful monitoring of the protein:fat ratio by  each
>individual might therefore be an important aspect of ketogenic (or even
>near-ketogenic) dieting that's not properly appreciated.

This is very interesting to me. When eating an all-raw diet (over eight
years) I found it hard to eat a high percent of animal foods (securing
pastured-only meats was a priority for me) and ended up eating lots of raw
and aged fish and fresh shellfish when they were available. But the great
attraction of fruit would always seem to crowd out the animal foods in the
end. I would also eat avocados freely and sometimes had several a day if
they were in season which would make animal foods less attractive it seemed.

Since experimenting myself with a seared high meat/fat diet for a few weeks
at a time I found that I lost my attraction to fruit in a day or two and
was quite satisfied for many days in a row with meat. (I also discovered
the joy of a ketogenic blood sugar level--felt like superman whenever I
needed to. ;)) My strength, endurance, etc. was also superior on the high
meat/fat diet. Whether or not I would've done even better on an all-raw
high-meat/fat diet is an intriguing question to me, but somewhat moot since
I cannot maintain an attraction to raw animal foods for several days in a
row in competition with fruit. Perhaps I should say "_could_ not maintain"
since I haven't yet tried all-raw again now that I have broken away from so
much fruit.

(FWIW, I found that if I cooked the meat too much--excessive browning, or
not raw inside--I would feel sweaty within an hour and hungover the next
day.)

Anyway, I have recently moved to Hawaii and have discovered a source of
stunning local 100%-pastured beef which is hung for weeks (the last
12-pound chunk of New York strip I got was hung for 8 weeks!) and only
costs $3.99/lb. While this meat isn't marbled there is a great amount of
side fat which is absolutely delicious--much more so than grain-fed (though
Angus comes close). Further, I have an essentially unlimited supply of
pastured-only bone marrow which is also extremely delicious (I eat the
marrow raw but sear the steaks which are still very raw inside.)

So finally my question to everyone: if there is a danger of eating too high
of a percentage of fat, how am I to know if I'm overdoing it. What other
symptoms might I watch out for? I mean, besides cholesterol level (which
was always at a decent level when I was all-raw--I don't know what it is
now) what is going to befall me if I continue to indulge in this great
meat/fat?

Ha! I thought the big island was going to have too much fruit and expensive
meat, but it has the kind of beef which is absolutely impossible to get on
the mainland...

Cheers,
Kirt

Secola  /\  Nieft