From:
Madeline Mason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 13:49:27 EST
In a message dated 2/27/02 11:16:19 PM, Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]
writes:

(Jim Swayze wrote:)

<< When you were strictly adhering to Ray's
> version of the diet, did you experience any of the other benefits
> (disappearance in allergies, sore joints, fatigue, gas, bloating, sinus
> infections, cold sores, depression)?

>I didn't have many of these problems to begin with, although I
think I did get some reduction of hay fever symptoms at the end
of April each year.  On the other hand, I also experienced
palpitations and anxiety attacks after about three months on
Neanderthin, which appears to have been the result of chronically
elevated cortisol from continuous ketosis.

Todd, with all due respect, how do you know that your palpitations and
anxiety were a result of elevated cortisol and/or ketosis? Ketosis alone has
a diuretic effect, possibly leading to the depletion of minerals such as
potassium and magnesium, which can then cause anxiety and disruptions in
heart rhythm. Most doctors recommending ketogenic diets also advise taking
additional amounts of these minerals, either as supplements and/or foods.
Furthermore, weight loss alone (regardless of macronutrient composition) can
also result in elevation of cortisol levels, without being in ketosis. This
can be what accounts for the feeling of well being that many people
experience after losing weight, when their cortisol levels had formerly been
a bit sluggish.

I, too, find I do not do well on a ketogenic diet, even short term, but my
cortisol levels are on the low side, rather than high. As soon as I get into
ketosis I feel extremely weak, despite taking additional minerals. I am
finding that I do better adding small amounts of starchy Paleo veggies to my
diet, as has been discussed so much recently here on this list.

I would think the Anchell plan would allow you to lose weight without putting
you into ketosis. Although not strictly Paleo, perhaps there is some wisdom
to his plan. Did you find you could lose weight on that plan without the pal
pitations/anxiety you experienced on a ketogenic Paleo plan? Calories,
calories! In the end, they DO count.

Maddy Mason
Hudson Valley, NY