From:
Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 2004 12:57:57 -0500
My firm did an extensive research project involving water treatment
systems and I learned a lot about them. I have no financial interest in
anything. But I did discover the following two systems that are quite
interesting:

Aquaspace, which attaches to your faucet with an adapter, so you can set
it up yourself. Good for a kitchen or bathroom, has a bypass so most of
the time (doing dishes etc.) you can just use water untreated. Aquaspace
media is a special type of carbon with a study showing it removes a much
wider range of organic compounds and lead than other activated carbons.
It costs about $140 I think and is said to last one year under normal
use, with replacements for $70. I think it will probably remove most
intestinal parasites also, but is not rated to do so.

Much more expensive ($1000 or more) is Aquacell, which is just like a
bottled water cooler, but has a complete water treatment system in it.
It's like a water cooler where you never need to change the bottle but
the bottle is visible (always kept full by the system). It includes an
ultraviolet light to kill bacteria and intestinal parasites, along with
various stages of media including carbon and physical filters to block
things as small as cryptosporidium ocysts. It offers instant hot and
cold water. The hot is really hot and I use it for my tea.

The issue with all water filters and softeners in general is that they
get quickly colonized by various bacteria. They all do. And as more
organic matter is retained in the filter, this matter feeds even more
bacteria.

I'm not sure this is harmful but it does introduce foreign compounds in
the water by virtue of the bacteria's waste products.

Changing the filter routinely is one answer, but the filters almost all
use some type of anti-microbial compounds in the filters. The usual one
is silver, but others contain copper. These are not paleo. I have no
idea how much leaches into the water, probably not much but if you drink
a lot of water it is of some concern. You can't get away from chemicals.

--Richard