From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Nov 2005 10:30:54 -0500
[log in to unmask] wrote:

>Putting aside the issue of gluconeogenesis (the conversion of protein to
>glucose), there is some very compelling evidence that too much protein
>ain't good for the kidneys.  This is the reason for the uproar over
>high protein diets.  The ideal non-Summer paleo diet is high good fat,
>moderate protein, and low carbohydrate.  One way to accomplish this is
>to follow Rosedale's suggestion and limit yourself to three or four
>pack-of-cards-sized portions of protein a day.  I think Ray Audette was
>right when he said that muscle meats were thrown to the dogs and fat was
>eaten preferentially.

I don't think there is *any* evidence that any amount of protein that a
human being will consume under normal conditions is bad for the
kidneys.  Whether limiting protein as Rosedale suggests is a good idea
for other reasons is an open question, but I think the claim that more
protein than that is bad for the kidneys is a canard.

Todd Moody