From:
H James Rhodes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Dec 2003 17:53:20 -0800
Dear People,

Thanks to all who responded to my message on the costs of the Paleo
Diet.  I did not mean to compare the Paleo Diet with SAD (Standard
American Diet) by which I guess you mean the fast food chain diet.  I
was on something like the Mediterranean Diet as recommended by Dr.
Andrew Weil.  It was a high complex carbohydrate, moderate protein and
low bad fat diet.  Compared to that, I was thinking good lean meat,
seafood and wild ocean fish would probably cost more than oatmeal,
brown rice and whole wheat bread.  But the point about less health
costs is well taken.

My blood pressure since I went on the Paleo Diet about a month ago has
comedown from borderline high to normal.  I've lost a few pounds from
about 183 to about 177 and maybe half an inch from 39 to 38.5.  I've
stayed on my moderate exercise program or maybe a little less.  Slow
steady improvement is just fine with me.  I'm retired and 65 and
grateful to be as healthy as I am.

Also, I've been diagnosed with osteopenia which I hope will get better
or at least not worse on the Paleo Diet.  I hate having to take Fosamax
or any other prescriptions.  Fosamax, for example, may increase bone
density but also increase brittleness plus possibly cause stomach and
liver problems as well.  I used to be 6' tall but now I'm 5'11".

I've noticed that I've been more thirsty, drinking more water and
urinating much more since I started - I'm not sure what the means.  I'm
not diabetic and I don't seem to have an enlarged prostate.  I'm still
getting about three does of caffeine per day.  Maybe I would urinate
less if I cut out the caffein but I so enjoy my coffee.

Last night I had a very serious cramp in my right calf like I've never
had before.  I do my stretching.  There's a possibility that it has
something to do with getting so much less salt but I don't know.  Do we
know anything for sure how much salt Paleolithic people were getting?

The Winter Solstice is tomorrow at 11:04.  Then the days here will
begin to get longer.  Here in Northwest Washington, daylight goes from
about 8 hours at day at Winter Solstice to about 16 hours a day at
Summer Solstice.  Quite a difference.

Comments are invited and welcome.  Thank you all.

Happy Winter Solstice time everyone.

Sincerely,

Jim