From:
Geoffrey Purcell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jun 2009 10:42:30 +0100
Ah, you're talking about the shoreline-theory. I'd forgotten about that one. It seems to be a sort of compromise between the aquatic ape and the standard theory. Still, I do know of plenty of Palaeolithic sites which are based far inland(albeit probably never too far from rivers).

Last I checked, seafood is generally viewed as very lean. The only exception are deepwater fish but those presumably wouldn't have been caught in palaeo times, given the lack of ships, until recent times.

Re claims:- The claim that in palaeo times, there were large mammals with higher fat-content which then died out isn't relevant, really. For one thing, wild horses and wild aurochs(the ancestors of modern cattle) were staples of the Palaeolithic diet, at least in Europe, and they are still around today with the same levels of fat(if grassfed).

> Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 13:18:15 -0700
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Paleo Diet offers the net-base balance needed
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> Hi Geoff,
> Both of Oppenheimer's books offer considerable genetic evidence for the
> spread along coastal areas. The beachcombing lifestyle is an assumption
> based on that. As Oppenheimer explains, due to rising sea levels world-wide,
> the archaeological evidence is submerged and essentially inaccessible. He
> doesn't even mention the aquatic ape theory. His focus is on genetics and,
> to a lesser extent, language evolution.
>
> If you will refer back to my post, I didn't say that our forebears ate an
> exclusively sea food diet. I said that they ate a predominantly sea food
> diet. The aquatic ape theory may not enjoy popularity but that is hardly a
> valid criticism of its tenets. Nonetheless, the theory is too polemic for
> me, as I just can't believe that all of our primate forebears lived even a
> semi-aquatic life.
>
> The site you recommended, along with the language of that recommendation,
> are just too polemic for me. I'm interested in evidence, personal
> experience, rational deductions, or anything else that might lead me to a
> richer understanding. I'm not interested in rants and loaded rhetoric.
>
> Aquatic mammals, crustaceans, and fish all contain considerable and diverse
> fats. Large land animals contain considerable fats in their brains and bone
> marrow, regardless of season.
>
> Your criticism of high fat is cyclic. I addressed that in my post by saying:
>
> "The fact that Cordain has found that muscle meats from contemporary, wild,
> ruminant game animals contain specific fat profiles that are problematic for
> human health suggests that: 1. we evolved eating some other kind of food; 2.
> The fat composition of this kind of meat has changed through extinction of
> the large ruminants that carried much more fats, or; 3. current beliefs
> about healthy fat profiles are flawed."
>
> Best Wishes,
> Ron

Get the best of MSN on your mobile