From:
Cheyenne Loon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Aug 2000 09:12:19 -0400
Amadeus wrote:
> But *if* paleo-cooking happened, it can only have been in very limited
ways
> 1. over an open fire (which implies loss of the fat which is feared,
right?)
> 2. in a skin with heated stones
snip
> How do aboriginals cook?
> How do !Kung cook?
> Does somebody know?

Open-fire cooking does not necessarily imply fat loss.  Up in Cree country
(NE Canada), we use metal pans to catch all the fat that drips from
geese/ducks/beaver while they are strung up and cooked over an open fire.
Maybe in in pre-contact times bone was used instead, or stone?
Fish is often smoked.
Other foods are smoked and then boiled, like beaver or moose innards.

...but I'm sure other cooking methods have fallen by the wayside in the past
200-300 years, since the Europeans came with their metal pots.  Probably the
same case with at least some Aborigine/!Kung cooking too.

Cheyenne

p.s....I just wanted to send a belated thank-you to all you people who
replied to me privately regarding my fat cat, last month.  So far she's
fairly resistant to raw meat, but enjoys cooked fish, rabbit, chicken, and
some greens.  Thanks for your advice.