From:
Lisa Verkley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 May 1999 12:50:33 -0700
> A point mentioned in Neanderthin is that Inuit who adopt a
> "civilized" diet have greater than average rates of diabetes,

Just as more proof of this, there is a community in remote Northwestern Ontario,
Canada, named Sandy Lake.  This community is predominantly native, and has the 3rd
highest rate of diabetes in the world.  In fact, 40 per cent of the community's
population has been diagnosed with some sort of abnormal carbohydrate metabolism.
The community has agreed to be studied, I believe in part of the promise of
increased heathcare and shipments of freshfood.
I found a brief article on this community if you are interested in reading some of
their reasonings.

http://www.pslgroup.com/dg/19e7e.htm

This article mentions their previous hunter/gatherer livestyle, and reasons that the
recent switch to a more sedentary lifestyle in an environment of nutrient excess has
resulted in less physical activity and an increase in obesity, leading to diabetes.
There is some mention of a 'thrifty genotype' meaning that these people
traditionally had an ability to store nutrients for long periods of time, and that
this trait is no longer required.

Lisa
(a new lurker on this list)