From:
Ken O'Neill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jan 2010 15:43:11 -0600
Wally:

Perhaps you're in need of digestive enzymes, enzymes whose role includes far
more than mere digestion.

Some protein powders have been known to induce gas. The old, very crude soy
products of the 50s and 60s were so notorious for that most gym members
wanted a hermetically sealed room in the gym for the soy users to keep their
noxious gas to themselves! We called that "hi proteen farts' after Hoffman's
Hi Proteen product. Nasty stuff.

Using whey, albumen, even casein for years never experienced any gas. Soy is
deadly stuff: as TC Luoma wrote some years ago, it's wonderful for women and
eunuchs - not men. Dessicated liver used to be another great option.

Naturally occurring protein digesting enzymes occur in pineapple. If you
have such a profound disorder, it's likely the root is in your physiology,
not in protein. To generalize that all people will have that problem is
specious abuse of logic.

Stay strong,

Ken

I can tell you why in my case - I have *never* been able to find a protein
powder that does not give me gas. I seriously believe it is because they are
- by definition - overprocessed. I can drink milk and kefir or eat eggs,
meat, yogurt with no ill effects, but give me a powdered protein drink and
you won't want to hang around me for the rest of the evening :)

I had numerous arguments with a bodybuilder I worked with on the subject of
protein powders. She would preach about how we should eat "natural" foods
with the least amount of processing - while sipping her soy protein shake.
She never saw the irony in that.