From:
"Cooley, Brad" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 2004 15:24:57 -0500
Stan,

I have 2 kids ages 4 and 2.  Both were breastfed until they self-weaned (at 27 and 18 months, respectively).  Neither ever had cereal or baby food.  We simply let them play with/eat the food that we ate.

My oldest started really eating at about 14 months, the youngest at 6.  At mealtimes, we would always cut up their food into bite-size pieces which helped them to actually eat.  Their first foods were mainly meat, fruit, and vegetables.  They no longer eat paleo, but amaze me at how well they self-regulate their diet in terms of total calories, protein, fat, carbs.

Bottom line is that I don't think that you have to do anything special introducing solid foods.  Breastmilk is fine until they begin to eat what you eat.  I am assuming that your son is normal and healthy.

The La Leche League website has a pretty good FAQ on starting solids at http://www.llli.org/FAQ/solids.html.

Brad

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 Stan Marks <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Our little boy is six months old and appears ready for solid foods. (He has
been exclusively breast-fed until now.) His pediatrician has recommended
starting him on cereals, but we do not think that cereals are good choices
for a baby's first solid foods, so we are wondering if any of you would
share your experiences and recommendations on the subject. Links to web
sites would be appreciated.