From:
Madeline Mason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 May 2001 16:32:34 EDT
In a message dated 5/4/01 2:01:24 PM, caroline radway
<[log in to unmask]> writes:

<< >>Dave says:
>>If anyone chooses to supplement that is your choice but I consider
>>discussions of this on the list to be off topic.

I think supplements would be pretty relevant myself - if the list is purely
about what is and isn't paleo, it'd be rather boring.  Discussions about how
to exist optimally under the guidelines of the paleo principle within the
context of the modern world and its inherent challenges are what I thought
the list was about.  And I would say that involves a pretty wide range of
factors, supplements included.

Caroline >>

Very well said! It may well be true that our Paleolithic ancestors didn't use
supplements, but they didn't eat/use virtually anything else that is part of
our modern lifestyle either. I would venture to guess that just about
everyone who adopts this way of life these days is coming from a former life
of ill health caused by the SAD, and therefore is starting out with health
problems already established. Some folks may be fortunate enough to achieve
balance by diet alone, but others have sustained damage to organ systems that
will require additional supplementation to remedy or control. Furthermore,
because we live so long now, we eventually become depleted or deficient in
certain nutrients/hormones, etc. that simply cannot be replenished via food
alone. I can think of literally scores of examples, but a big one that comes
to mind is the issue of osteoporosis. Once this has become established,
merely switching to a Paleo type diet is not going to reverse this condition.
However, there are certain natural supplements that can positively affect the
course of this disease. In such cases, I don't think the wise use of
supplements negates the worth or validity of a Paleo lifestyle, but can be
used in such a way as to augment its effectiveness.

I am not up on the history of ancient healing methods, but it seems to me
that it must have its roots going way, way back. I'm sure that our earliest
ancestors applied their knowledge of local herbs or whatever, to help others
who may have been sick or injured. OK, so the herbs didn't come in a plastic
bottle, but their chicken didn't come in a styrofoam tray either, and we
consider that legitimate Paleo fare. Although supplements never have been and
shouldn't be the main focus of this list, I find the suggestion upsetting
that any discussion at all of supplements be considered off topic and not
appropriate for discussion. After all, we have discussed birthday parties,
hormones, exercise, pets, weight loss, and numerous other things not directly
connected to "shopping" naked with a sharp stick. I suggest an open minded
reasonable approach to this.

Just my 2 cents!
Maddy Mason
Hudson Valley, NY