From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 May 2001 06:30:21 -0400
On Fri, 9 May 2003, Jochen Schwarz wrote:

> If you show your body, that you will need your muscles, when you fast,
> e.g. doing sport, our body will not break down much muscles for energy. That
> makes little sense in an paleo view, I think, because in food scarcity,
> we  must be able to walk long periods to catch the game or to gather
> something to eat.

Walking is not a high-intensity effort.  It is a fat-burning
activity.  In any case, some glucose is absolutely necessary
because some tissues can use nothing else, so under fasting
conditions it is inevitable that muscle will be lost. For a
short-term fast the amount of muscle lost will not be great, but
even that should be avoidable by limited ingestion of carbs and
not much else.

Todd Moody