From:
Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Aug 2002 15:54:27 -0400
From: "Liz Beasley" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Sunday, August 25, 2002 3:18 PM
Subject: Re: [P-F] adventure with grass fed beef

> Thanks for the story, Richard. Zach and I are planning
> on buying a deep freezer eventually, and talked to
> a couple who have grassfed beef (we are near the
> Milwaukee, Wisconsin area). After processing, he
> told us it would be about $2/#. Sounds pretty much
> like the cuts of beef you got. Are you going to make
> bone broth with the bones???  :) It's really tasty!!!
> --Liz

Of course! That is a great attraction of getting it this way. I have not
found a source of beef bones that are flavorful and fresh -- the bones all
seem old.

Also this is a great way to get liver, which should be free of toxins that
might be found in feedlot cattle.

I also wanted the caul fat but I think they ground it into the ground beef
so I didn't get any separately. I should have thought of the thymus but
forgot. I didn't care much about the heart although I am sure I could have
asked for it, although I was sharing the steer with 3 other people.

As we use this up I will learn more about this and will be able to order
more intelligbly next time. One big decision is which quarter to get, front
or back.

I opted for front because I like ribeye steaks more than sirloin steaks. I
also like short ribs and the chuck roasts are great for winter pot roasts.

I do not like the very lean top of the round and bottom of the round cuts as
I do not find they make flavorful pot roasts and they are too tough for dry
roasting, so if I were to order a quarter with these I would have them
ground.

--Richard