From:
tsayonah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 13:47:04 -0500
Madeline Mason wrote:
> I have found that as the physical problems disappear, the emotional drive to
> consume these "poisonous" foods melts away too, since the root may well be
> physical in nature to begin with. When doctors don't understand what causes
> people to overeat (or smoke, or drink, or whatever) they like to turn it
> around and blame the patient. Afterall, if they have no solution, they have
> to tell the patient something! The end result is that heaping guilt upon a
> hapless patient just perpetuates the vicious emotional bingeing cycle.

As with all addictive and damaging substances, it is much
easier to sit back and render moral judgment against the
victim than it is to actually help.

> Oh, for those interested, Elisi also said,
>
> I had "dysthymic bipolar
> disorder"
>
> My diagnosis was Bipolar Disorder, Type II, with mixed states and extreme
> rapid cycling. I was also secondarily labeled with Major Depressive Disorder,
> Severe Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Panic Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive
> Disorder, and Dissociative Disorder. Yikes! Where'd they all go? :-)

Isn't it amazing to look back?  Weird what a bit of the
wrong "food" can do, no?  I started with major depression
and moved "up" to the bipolar :)  The last straw came when I
had shrunk four inches and was having severe back problems;
the idiot someone gave a medical degree to wanted to make it
all better for me with a week as a psych in-patient!  I did
a real good imitation of someone berserking and made a deal:
they take the proper studies and prove to me there was
nothing wrong with my back and I would commit myself!  My
osteo density came back at -2.87, that of an average 80 year
old woman (I'm 54), and the MRI showed almost no disks left
in my lumbar area.
--
   Elisi Tsayonah, AniWodi, ghigau,
   St Francis River Band of Cherokee