From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 2004 11:07:47 -0500
Richard Geller wrote:

> Todd, I purchased and just read Faigin's book. I don't know if you read
> it. But Faigin's approach is to eat protein and low carb every 4 hours
> to *prevent* catabolic metabolism. Every 3 or 4 days you have a meal
> with unlimited carbs but low protein and fat.

I haaven't read his book, so I'll be just shooting from the hip here, as
usual.  And I don't have time for a full reply... enough caveats.

> Insulin is a two-edged sword according to Faigin. Some insulin helps the
> body create IGF-1 which is a powerful hormone that is very desirable,
> and has other desirable effects in moderation.

Yes, I think that's true.

> Faigin seems to link aging with catabolic metabolism. The theory is that
> as people age, they lose muscle mass, and their cells become less
> effective at taking up nutrients, all of which is a symptom of catabolic
> metabolism. By eating every 4 hours (no more than 50 grams of protein or
> else too much insulin is triggered and the protein overage is converted
> to fat), you are always in anabolic mode (at least when awake).

I've read studies of ascetics, who do a lot of fasting.  One interesting
finding is that the fasting greatly *increases* nutrient utilization,
including protein utilization.  I think one confounding variable is that
as many people age they become inactive, a sure way to forfeit LBM.

> During these 3 or 4 days of frequent eating, insulin is always being
> secreted then, as you are eating frequently. The insulin level would not
> be very high because you are eating low carb and would be cushioned with
> glucagon. But this seems to ignore some research showing that being
> constantly secreting insulin may not be a good idea.

Intuitively, I'm inclined to believe that it's a good thing to turn off
the insulin pump once in a while and let the metabolism swing in the
catabolic direction.  That's why at least in theory I like the one-meal
concept, which could perhaps be supplemented with small feedings of
mostly fat, such as macadamias, which would have little or no impact on
insulin, but would provide energy.

Sorry, gotta run.

Todd Moody