From:
Kathryn Rosenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Aug 2002 16:51:42 -0400
From: Elizabeth Miller <[log in to unmask]>

> There are prople who drink an enormous amount of raw milk (Masai) yet have
> low rates of cancer. Could the problem really reside in the pasteurization
> process that damaging the protein and homogenization

Hi, Liz.  I read on my breast cancer list that in the Netherlands the breast
cancer rates jumped after pasteurization.  I would think that the Dutch may
have some tolerance for milk...my ancestors there had been drinking it for
quite a while.  But the pasteurization has been recent.

Although I haven't read any hard evidence, I think the Masai may be able to
tolerate milk more because their immune systems aren't fighting the ravages
of air pollution, food contaminated by additives and antibiotics, etc.  They
have lived pretty much in an environment that has not been totally infected
with chemicals.  When I think of what women in my home town need to defend
themselves against it is mind boggling:  contaminated food, polluted air and
water, lawn chemicals, dry cleaning chemicals, carcinogenic cleaning
products, makeup and body lotions, chlorininated water, carcinogenic treated
wood, fabric, etc.

If we lived in a "greener" world and had ancestors who had been milk
drinkers for 300 yrs drinking non-pasturized milk, perhaps it wouldn't be
much of a problem for us either.

Kath