From:
Ashley Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jan 2006 19:01:04 +0000
On Jan 09, 2006, at 12:03 am, Robert Kesterson wrote:

> Given that their list doesn't even include fast foods, you have to
> wonder
> how they make that assumption.  Maybe it assumed the wrong number
> of daily
> calories, and that threw off the calculations?

Perhaps - I guess they assume that the meat is lean, not half fat
which is what I like.  Although even still, I'm amazed how many of my
minerals were extremely low.  For one, I thought that meat provided
ALL B-group vitamins.

> On the other hand, if you were entering things by the week -- were the
> numbers big enough?  The biggest number of servings they had was
> "4-6".
> There are plenty of things on the list that I eat more times than
> that in
> a week.  I entered most of mine by the day, with only some of them
> by the
> week.

Most things I entered weekly, but meat I entered daily and put 4-6
servings.  The veg I entered weekly and it works out at 2-4 portions
daily.

> If you're relying on diet alone for vitamin D, you probably *are*
> deficient.  Unless of course you get some sun.  Apparently all it
> takes is
> 15 minutes a day in summer, and of course more in the winter, since
> there's less skin exposed.

I get far far more than I need in summer which is why I don't worry
about it over winter.  I like to spend as long as I can outside when
it's warm, because we haven't had a hot summer for a few years here
in England.  I don't know how much vitamin D the body can store but I
assume I can go 4 months easily, and even then I'm still out even in
dark months.

Ashley