From:
Wade Reeser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 2004 16:11:42 -0500
Kim,

I am not a doctor, but if you are just having the effect of lower T4 from a
extended low carb diet, I dont think there is any reason to require
drug treatment.  However, if you wish do enhance fat loss,
I think a few high carb/low fat and protein meals eaten as the last meal of
the
day can enhance weight loss.  This type of macronutrient cycling' for
dieting has
been around for some time in different forms.  I became aware of it first a
number
of years ago as a diet natural body builders used to cut weight, they would
go
ketogenic for 7-10 days and then pig out on sugar and starches on the last
day.
The last workout before the carb up was used to completely drain glycogen
reserves
so that they could 'supercompensate' the following day during the carb up
phase.

I have no affiliation with Rob Fagin, but his book is very good at
explaining his
approach to dieting.  It is largely a low carb diet with a few carb up meals
a week.
A few of the good points about his book/diet include: he keeps it simple,
the carb up
periods keep you from feeling deprived and he explains/defends his approach
fairly
rigorously and has copious footnotes.  He has two versions of the diet, one
regular
Joe/Jane and one specifically for body builders.

However, if you have other reasons you would suspect some irregularity with
metabolism
or you thyroid in particular, sure, go see a doctor.  I suspect tho that you
are like
alot of people (myself included :))  in that you would like to see faster
body fat
loss but there is nothing wrong with you. :)

  Wade

Kim Kline says

So would someone that has been on a low-carb diet for a while that is still
interested in losing body fat need to get their thyroid checked and possible
go on a low dosage of thyroid?