From:
Adam Sroka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 2006 14:58:01 -0500
Marylee Grasso wrote:
> How does walnut oil stand up to cooking (baking & frying) temperatures?  I know some oils are more delicate than others.  Coconut oil is ok, but sometimes I don't want the stronger flavor of coconut oil.  Is walnut oil a good alternative?
>
> Marylee
>
> .

Cooking walnut oil at high temperature will damage the oil and produce
an unpleasant taste. Also, be careful with store bought walnut oil. Like
other commercial oils it may have been treated to extend its shelf life.
A sure sign that walnut oil is treated is if it comes in a clear or
lightly tinted bottle. Walnut oil should be stored in a dark container
in a cool, dry place, because the PUFA (polyunsaturated fatty acids) it
contains are easily damaged by light and heat. Better choices for
cooking include olive and macadamia nut oils since both are high in
healthy monounsaturated fats and tolerate normal cooking temperatures. I
like to use a blend of coconut and mac or olive oil, and occasionally
palm kernel oil. I will leave out the coconut oil if I think that the
flavor will offend, although for my own tastes I can't get too much
coconut.