From:
Frances Ross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Oct 2003 22:29:49 +0100
>From:    Bruce Kleisner <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Containers
>

>The following study may help you grasp the fact that people have
>been improving their health with cooked foods for many thousands
>of years.

I think we have to have a mixture of both. Both cooked and raw have health
benefits. I try to have about 75 percent of my daily diet raw. The one thing
that worries me about cooked - epecially steak, caramilised onions etc is the
advanced glycation end products (AGE's) and their role in disease and ageing.
And again the release of free glutamate (home made MSG or monosodium
glutamate) which is why you get the rich taste during long slow cooking
processes eg soup from bones, casseroles from tough cuts of meat, cooking
tomatoes etc.

It is not for nothing that pharmaceutical companies are now developing
glutamate blocking drugs for all sorts of disease processes.

I personally believe that the paleo people cooked and well as ate raw. But I
don't think they cooked long slow casseroles, soup etc. S/he is much more
likely to have broken the bones open and ate the marrow rather than releasing
all the enzymes from their enzyme chains and glycating all the sugars in the
protein. Cooking whilst serving a positive process should not be taken to
extremes - for other health reasons....

All can be backed up by doing relevant research.

Fran

   Scotland's Free Internet Service Provider