From:
Dori Zook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 09:10:06 MDT
Hi, Val!

You'll be deluged with responses to your query, but here's mine.

>Does anyone on the list have hyperinsulinemia? yadda yadda yadda...

Critics of Atkins have some legitimate points, but his introductory phase
(meat, fish, eggs, fat and 1-2 simple salads a day) works for several
different reasons.  It gets carbs (and the cravings they create) out of your
system.  It eliminates the need to whip out a calculator.  It also results
in ketosis.

Many people on the list feel ketosis in uneccesary.  This varies from person
to person.  But if you're trying to lose weight, it's a great place to
start.  It helps eliminate cravings for both high-carb foods and food in
general.  Think of it as ground zero.  Once you get to this point, you can
add healthy carbs a little at a time to see what your own limit is.

While a fine-tuned protein/fat/carb ratio may be a good long-term goal, I
heartily endorse beginning with a simple do eat/don't eat list with no
restrictions on amount because, for me at least, measuring everything I eat
is an awful place to start.  I hated math in school and I hate it to this
day.  The only reason I'm whipping out my own calorie counter is to finish
what I started.  I lost 50 pounds with no calorie or gram counting
whatsoever.  Your own body will tell as much if not more than a book will on
what's best for you.

Dori Zook
Denver, CO

P.S.  You'll like coconut fat, by the way.  I'm sure others will tell you
what's good about it (micronutrients, etc.).