From:
Hans Kylberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 May 2001 19:45:09 +0200
At 10:21 2001-05-19 -0700, Rob wrote:

>Epidemiological studies are insightful and highly suggestive, but they
>cannot demonstrate cause and effect.

That is true. And neither the article nor I suggested that there was
a direct relation.

>We don't know if the group that added
>neither butter or margarine on the bread were also poorer, ate a diet high
>in refined and processed foods, ate smaller amounts of quality protein, or
>lived in highly pollution neighborhoods;

All lived in the same environments. The ones who use no fat on the bread
were shurely not poorer, Sweden does not look like that, they live in
families that generally avoid fat for "health" reasons, that is usually
educated middle class, they might keep thier houses too clean.
The group that had butter either belong to a donīt-bother-about-anything
group or, probably, to an old fashioned rural group, often farmers. And
it is known that kids that grow up on farms have less allergies.

- Hans