From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 2004 11:25:23 -0500
Hi Dori,
I'm sending you my response to your question privately because it's kind of
lost in the shuffle at the paleo site.  I'm amazed that Dr. Rosedale is in
his 50s -- I thought he looked AT LEAST 10 years younger.  Whatever he's
doing, it sure looks like it works for him!  Anyway, below is my response
to your question about the "debate" re: Atkins:

I saw the whole thing.  It was hardly a debate though.  On one side, there
was a doctor completely lying about the Atkins program (eat all the butter
and bacon you want, etc etc) and Atkins' weight.  What the Physicians for
Responsible Medicine (aka PETA!) neglected to mention is that Atkins'
weightgain from fluid retention was also fully documented in the hospital
records too.  This of course wasn't mentioned. By the way, the PRM only has
5% actual MDs in its membership, the rest are rabid beansprout chewing
vegans who have vegetarianism as their religion and want to convert us all.
Anyway, the whole thing infuriates me because I saw Dr. Atkins in person on
numerous occasions during
the months prior to his death.  I went their
every 4-5 weeks with my husband who was being treated by another Doc at the
Center (Dr. Castillo) with prolotherapy shots to help repair a severe torn
rotator cuff injury my hubby got during softball.  (Prolotherapy was very
successful -- my hubby was back in fine pitching form last summer and his
team won their division championship.) Anyway, there was NO FREAKING WAY
that Dr. Atkins weighed 250+ pounds when I saw him.  NO WAY.  Also, several
years ago, I saw a nutritionist at the Center and Dr. Atkins looked the
same -- NOT FAT.

Off my rant now.  Rosedale was very impressive but a poor choice to rebut
the critic of the Atkins diet.  That's because Rosedale mischaracterized
Atkins diet as "low carb anything goes" (This description of the Atkins
Diet is just factually incorrect if one bothers to read Atkins' latest
books  but like all low carb docs these d
ays -- they all want to distance
themselves or distinguish their plans from the Atkins diet.) and went on to
describe what he considered the ideal diet to be:  adequate protein (gave
no formula whatsoever for how to determine what's adequate), high "good"
fat (ie not saturated) and low carb in the form of veggies.   I note that
Rosedale's website info mentions that his plan is "low calorie" as well. In
one of his essays, he says nuts are a good energy source because they
are "mostly monosaturated" -- this is not true.  Only macadamias
are "mostly monosaturated" -- almonds for instance have copious amounts of
Omega 6. He sounds kind of like Cordain only much lower protein.  Anyway,
have you experienced success with Rosedale's plan Dori, and if so, could
you post a typical day's menus?