Date:
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 18:16:58 -0400
Kimberly Rogers said:

>>>On my next shopping day, I'll invest in coconut and
>>olive oil, avacadoes, nuts, non-hormone beef, chicken and lamb and lots of
>>green good-for-me veggies.  I'll let you know what happens.

My reply:
I would suggest going very easy on the nuts.  They are easily overeaten,
which can upset the desired omega 6 to omega 3 ratios, triggering various
inflammatory reactions and upsetting desirable hormone balance.)

Here's what Loren Cordain has said about nuts and fat:

"It is quite possible to make very "un-paleo meals" from
so-called "paleo foods" and arrive at a health situation not much better
than the average American diet.  For instance, if one gets the bulk of daily
energy from trail mix (nuts and dried fruit), it not only produces a high
glycemic load, but it also imbalances the n6/n3."

"Clever cooks can combine nut flours, honey, cold pressed oils, sea
salt and dried fruit or fruit juices and produce cookies with glycemic loads
that differ little from Oreos. "

Cordain suggests that the bulk of the fat in a paleo diet come from MUFA
(~50% energy), PUFA (~25% energy) and SAT (~25%) and in which the n6/n3 = ~
2:1 or 3:1 and in which stearic acid, 18:0, comprises ~ 50% of SAT is a fat
healthy diet whether coconuts are included or not.

"When a fat source tip the balance of fats from these basic
values...it puts the paleodiet out of kilter.  For instance, many
vegetarians and vegans who first adopt the diet will attempt to get most of
their energy from nuts and will eat little or no meat and seafood.  Others
will attempt to get their main energy source from avocados or added olive
oil on salads and veggies.  However the problem with this approach is that
it unbalances the n6/n3 ratio severly.  Almonds have an n6/n3 of ~ >300:1;
olive oil has an n6/n3 ~ 13:1.  Except for walnuts (n6/n3 ~5:1), all nuts
have unacceptable n6/n3, and when they become the dominant energy sources in
diets -- all of the diseases associated with n6/n3 imbalance come into play.
Lean grass fed domestic meats, fish and seafood must be the dominant energy
source to make the paleodiet work in regards to the correct balance of
fats."

So, delicious as they are, nuts should really be viewed more as condiments
or treats, but not as major articles in the diet---certainly not eaten by
the fistfull or cupful,.....or if eaten that way, one should do it very
infrequently!

Rachel