From:
JK Gatto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Nov 2005 13:57:09 -0800
[log in to unmask] wrote:
Read the article below and you'll begin to get an idea
of how weight training, properly performed at very high levels of
intensity, is the single best *cardio* workout possible. After all,
what is the purpose of the heart anyway? To provide blood to the
body's tissues. Work the muscular system intensely and you're gonna
raise the heart muscle and lungs intensely too.

http://www.baye.com/articles/aerobics_just_say_no.html

I can attest to this.  I might also add that standard aerobics causes me to crave carbs but with intense lifting I have to force myself to eat.  I've always hated aerobics and this method works for me.  Two to three days a week is plenty for this type of workout.