From:
Ingrid Bauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 May 2001 00:52:26 -0700
-
>I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for stimulating the adrenals
>without exhausting them, or for raising the blood pressure.

It is exactely what you don't want to do . IMO , adrenal deficiencies come
from overuse of adrenals in response to stress . stimulants are stressfull.
I talk from 19 years of experience  "functionning " without adrenal cortex
function.
I intituively quit coffee when i was 20 ,3 years before the diagnosis of
addison disease , i also never touch tobacco or alcohol or recreations drugs
. Restropectively i know that i was allready showing symptoms of adrenal
deficiency as a child and teenager , i believe i will have precipited the
collapse if i had used stimulants.

Go the other way around accept the messages from your body that you need to
rest and avoid stress , your body is trying to quit to have to run on
adrenaline and cortisone .
I improved drastically when i spared my body the challenge to deal with
denatured foods .and gave it only raw foods.
I learned,  am learning  to disengage from conflicts , to not fight with
adversity , to lead a stress free life ,  to  aknowledge and express anger
in a safe way ( not projecting it to innocent peoples creating stress in
response )etc...
There is many aeras where you can lighten up.
Anger is a good one . I see that autoimmune diseases  is anger turned
inward.
anger is life energy squeesed by repression.
 As long i was playing soccer intenselly ( as a semi professional ) i had an
outlet to get out the steam.
I quitted physical activity ,(that was my stimulants),  at age 20 and
started to go down slowly bur surely to the point of being a vegetal and end
up in the hospital.
3 years later. I was making my self so wrong and had a sens of guilt so
pronounced that i did even realised that something was wrong .i thought i
was just lazy.
I wish i could be at your place with what i learned now and will not had to
go to the bottom to learn them.
You have a beautiful opportunity to sense that the "normal" life style  is
just deadly and drastic changes need to happen.

 My diet is
>high in red meat and nuts, moderately low in vegetables, and I cannot eat
>fruit due to my specific health concerns.  I do eat a fair amount of salt
>to keep the blood pressure up a bit.

salt is a hard one . it might require more from the adrenal cortex mineral
corticoids to keep the salt balance but at the same time when you are
allready wasting sodium you need to replenish . viscious cycle like when you
are hypoglycemiac and need sugar.
the answer i think is in wild vegetables rich in  minerals as sodium. clams
oysters seafoods seaweeds are a good way to get those minerals and not crave
salt perse .

more salt i eat and more i want ( to a certain degree )
i managed also  to go for months also without any added salt.

>Before I was paleo, the symptoms were milder (I was not a coffee drinker
>before I went paleo, ironically).  I think this way of eating exaggerates
>the faintness, due to either lower caloric intake or lower blood sugar, or
>both.  Does anyone have experience with this?  Any dietary suggestions for
>dealing with it?

it is frequent to exchange an old stimulant for a new one ( coffee for
gluten ?)
without proper cortisone secretion there is problem of keeping the sugar
level .
I need fruit  or vegetables myself but have to be carefull to not overdo it.
Instinctive eating have been an answer for me , giving my body( thru rhe
sense of taste and smell)  the opportunity to regulate the quality and
quantity of food intake . Denaturing the food from its natural state
 cooking juicing seasonning  or whatever) incitate to overeat and by
consequence undereat other categories of food  (" la gourmandise")
also to take in consideration is eating paleo with commercial meats with
hormones and from animals experiencing a stressful life or death ( due to
wrong eating and living environment) You just don't want to integrate their
stress and add it to yours.

jean-claude