Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 19:23:34 -0400
Someone posted that Dorimentioned
> > marrow  asan excellent source of calcium but someone could not find it in
the USDA database.

>>Right here on the list with a cornucopia of information from Rachel Matesz.

My reply:
It is NOT the marrow that is rich in calcium. Marrow is rich in FAT!
However, if you cook meat or poultry bones in water with some lemon juice or
vinegar for 12 to 24 hours, the acid in the lemon or vinegar draws calcium,
boron, and other bone building nutrients out of the meat bones and into the
broth.  If you cook the broth down so it is thick, it can be an excellent
source of calcium.  I read about this years ago, but don't have the book
that claimed you could have a broth with as much or more calcium than a
glass of milk.  I may have some of my broth  analzyed, if it doesn't cost
too much.

Back to editing.

Rachel