Date:
Sun, 8 Feb 2004 17:20:23 -0000
<<To me palm is a tree - some of them have bananas and some coco nuts. ... Can anyone inform me and some other arctic circle area inhabitants? Please!>>

Eva,
the palm tree from which palm oil is extracted is NOT the same as the coconut tree.... bananas come from a completely different plant species... Palm oil is produced from the fruit of the Elaeis Guinnesis tree, which originated in West Guinea... palm oil has been used for thousands of years in Africa and other tropical locations like the Philipines and south-east Asia.... the fruit has a single seed - the palm kernel - protected by a wooden endocarp or shell, surrounded by a fleshy mesocarp or pulp.... this fruit produces two types of oil: one extracted from the pulp (palm oil) and the other from the kernel (palm kernel oil).

for facts about palm oil see - http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/red_palm_oil.htm
and -- http://www.fedepalma.org/oil_palm.htm

for lots of articles re the benefits of palm oil see - http://www.monash.edu.au/APJCN/Vol6/Num1/vol6-1.htm#v6n1a2

Dedy