Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2007 23:13:00 -0500
Fatty or lean? This is one of the ongoing arguments among paleo eaters. In
good times I believe paleo people selected the fattiest parts of the
animals, just because these are so good tasting and satisfying. In poor
times they ate whatever they could get.

But remember that most of the time was good times. Wild animals, as we were
during paleo times, are usually very well fed. Shortages occur during dry
periods or cold winters only, in most years.

So paleo people had long periods when they ate lots of fat, a few months
when they ate anything, and sugar/carb consumption rose and fell with the
ripening of fruit.

Fruit starts becoming available in temperate climates by late spring, and
continues until the frost or just after. In warmer climes fruit may be there
all year round in some quantity.

People often say that domesticated fruit has more sugar than wild, but I
don't believe that at all. Wild fruit is smaller, and takes energy to pick,
but is very sweet when at peak ripeness. The difference is that domestic
fruit can be bought and eaten in any quantity, so it is possible to get too
much sugar from fruit. In paleo times getting 'too much' sugar would be an
occasional peak event, and not a day-in-day-out thing.

I feel great when on a very high fat diet. That is my preferred diet when
free to eat whatever I want.